October 16, 2008

Hurricane Ike

In a nut shell, Hurricane Ike left us, and everyone we know, amazed at the damage a hurricane can do so far inland. Our house is about 100 miles from the coast but the damage and destruction was far reaching. The number of trees that were down was unbelievable. I'm sure where we are located had something to do with that, since we are completely surrounded by trees, but it was amazing none the less. But despite all of that we were very fortunate. Nobody was hurt and we still have our house.

Since the possibility of being without power for 2-4 weeks didn't interest me; after the storm, I took the girls and headed to our friends house in Plano (near Dallas). Scott and Amy, we can't thank you enough for your hospitality and friendship.
Yes, this is our living room. We decided to all "sleep" downstairs due to Hurricane Ike. Madison and Marlee were in pack-n-plays and we pulled the mattress off our guest bed for Anthony and I. It was a good plan, however not much sleeping was going on. Sticks and pine cones hitting the windows at 60-80 mph does not sound like sticks and pine cones . . .

After the wind died down enough to go outside, we were all surprised to see this tree on our house. As bad as it may look, we were fortunate. We saw several houses with trees through them.




The Clean-Up Crew. After the storm had blown through the next task was to clean up. Madison stayed interested for a few minutes, and I'm sure you can imagine it took much longer than that to finish.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We made it in your blog; I'm so honored. You're welcome, we had a lot of fun. I'm reading your blog, so now you have to update it. I love the profile pic; please send me a copy. Jake keeps saying "Madison's toys" everytime we say we are going to Houson next week. Looking forward to it. We have to play games this time!

Unknown said...

I can't imagine what it was like to clean The Woodlands. I can tell from the pictures that it was a real mess. Do you have any big repairs you need to do to the house? We are ALL so glad everyone is safe.